Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Ladybug Ribbon Topiary

Ribbony goodness! 


I blame Courtney over at  A Diamond in the Stuff for getting me hooked on these ribbon topiaries.  I made one for Independence day and now I can't stop... Here's a summer ladybug version that has to be removed because Halloween is next!  I will store this with summer things and begin on a new foam ball soon.  I have the ribbon ready to go, and even some extra to make one for Mom!

The best part of this project is that it is so simple, yet satisfying. The feel and look of different ribbon types is addictive.  I can sit with my boys while they are snacking and not join in because my fingers are busy!  I can bring a roll of ribbon to soccer practice in my purse and snip while I'm watching!

For this easy project you need a foam ball (mine was 5", from the floral section of the craft store), a pot (mine was from Goodwill), a styrofoam block to stick inside the pot (stabilize dowel), decorative moss to cover the styrofoam, a wooden dowel (mine was 3/8"), straight pins, and bunches of ribbon in various sizes and textures cut up in 4" (10cm) pieces (5 or 6 rolls). The different textures really add to the project. Thicker ones stick up better and help support the satiny ones.   Watch the color on the INSIDE of your ribbon though. The ladybug one I used was white on the inside, which made the topiary look less full, like you could still see the white ball underneath.

All you do is pin loops of ribbon into the ball, one at a time, until the ball is covered. Twist the loops so they overlap in different directions.  A colorful burst of fun! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment