Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Corn Treat Holders

Our family Thanksgiving  tradition includes Family Fun's corn treat holder idea. Corn plays such an important role in our early history that I just can't resist the symbolism! Where would civilization be without it? And to think we are still learning the mystery of its domestication...


  
I fill the corn holders with goodies and put them on plates at our Thanksgiving table. The treats are usually something chocolate (kisses), something mint (gum), a lip balm, and a strawberry candy. For the kids, I sometimes substitute a small lego set, the tiny promotional ones you see at Target this time of year.  Lastly, I put a paper feather in each corn that has a conversation starter on it, such as "what are you most grateful for?"

  

 
To make the corn, start with an empty paper tube and coat it with a thin layer of glue. Fringe a length of yellow crepe paper and wrap it around the tube in overlapping layers. I actually keep mine from year to year so I don't have to stress about making them the night before... I always seem to be short on time! Use a half sheet or so of green tissue paper to wrap up the corn after it is dried and filled, tying the ends to secure with ribbon. (I don't worry if the ends are totally covered, you just need them mostly closed!)

  

 
I think the feathers came from Family Fun, too, though I don't see the template when I search for it... I'd be happy to post a PDF for you. Not everyone likes to answer the questions so I don't make a big deal out of it when guests open their corns. I find that the questions are useful later, as people get relaxed and the meal progresses. We've had great conversations from them!

Sample questions:

  • What is something you are glad your parents/grandparents/teacher/kids taught you?
  • What are you most grateful for?
  • What invention are you grateful for?
  • What is one of your favorite Thanksgiving memories?
  • What was the craziest thing that happened on a Thanksgiving in your past?
  • What was your happiest moment this year?
  • What is something you forget to be thankful for?

May your celebration be full of wonderful moments you'll treasure forever!  Happy Thanksgiving!

 
 

 
 

 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment