Why celebrate Groundhog's day? It is (approximately) half way between winter solstice and spring equinox... half way through winter! Got cabin fever yet?
My family LOVES these groundhog cookies. Whenever I make them, people always ask for the recipe... It is basically an irristable (butter and sugar!) molasses cut out recipe:
1) Mix together and set aside:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2) Cream 1/2 Cup butter, 1 Cup sugar
3) Add 1/2 cup molasses and 1 egg yolk to creamed butter/sugar and mix.
4) Comine dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
5) Chill dough until managable.
6) Preheat oven 350.
7) Cut cookies from dough on floured surface, brush with egg white. Add raisin bits or currants for eyes.
8) Cook 8-10 minutes.
9) Cool on cookie sheet before removing!!
If you don't have a groundhog cookie cutter, you can always cut one out of cardboard and use a knife to cut around the cardboard shape on the dough.